Saturday 16 June 2012

Settling in

Well, another week has passed here in picturesque Ottawa. It is a nice place and every day we're finding new things to do and getting more comfortable driving around. That said, driving hasn't been all smooth sailing...

So, we were heading to playgroup in the area where we will be living. The kids were in the back, and my mum was watching the GPS to make sure we didn't miss a turn. Either it was my imagination, or the GPS took us past the street a couple of times before it finally took us there. Fast forward a few days and the same GPS drove us around in circles on the opposite side of the road to our destination. I soon decided that my guesswork would do a better job of getting us there. Thankfully, that GPS is now back with the hire car and we have our own for our new car.

The Honda Odyssey we bought is great - very comfortable. We did find out though, that is was originally bought in Quebec. Hubby discovered that when he was reached for the manual (to rearrange seats) and found all of the text in French. Now, as my French lessons did not have a unit on cars and mechanics, this was not particularly helpful. Thanks god for diagrams. Another small problem is that the car park under the hotel is fairly tight, and if you actually park between the lines, odds are the doors (sliding doors mind you) won't open without hitting a pole. Oh well, we'll just be car park hogs.

A couple of things have struck me as odd this week. The playgroup we went to was fantastic, no question, but I found the craft session strange. Instead of glitter, the kids used crushed up fruit loops and cheerios. Safer? Perhaps. But where's the fun in that! Unless it was designed to be edible? The paper would be tasteless though, surely. The othet strange thing is kids clothing size. Now I know my kids are tall for their age, but I couldn't believe that I bought my 3 year old size 5 bathers. Maybe we just breed then tall down under.

And finally, an issue I'd like some opinions on. The diferent vocabulary is starting to be tricky for Miss 3. Muesli is granola,, nappies are diapers, capsicums are peppers, cots are cribs, rubbish is garbage and a footpath is a sidewalk to name a few. Part of me wants to hold on tight to the Aussie language - she is Australian after all. The other part of me realises that we're living here and she needs to be understood by people (especially her teachers when she starts school) so talk like a local. Being so young she'll likely end up with a bit of an accent anyway. Realistically I'm unlikely to have a say in the matter - she's fairly determined and headstrong so my opinion will make no difference to how she talks!

More news next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment